About the job
This company’s highly motivated, extremely talented Technical Operations department is looking for an exceptionally bright DBA to work in their London offices (Kingston upon Thames). The goal is to provide an exceptional experience for their company by continued development, refinement and improvement of their DBA applications.
As a member of the team you will be relied on for your problem solving, communication, collaboration and project management.
Projects to be completed in the next year, scaling out their Splunk and Tableau infrastructures and updating to production SQL Server 2014 Infrastructure to SQL Server 2016.
· Keeping an eye on the performance of SQL Server Infrastructure and day-to-day response time baseline.
· Reporting any SQL performance issues and following through resolution.
· Not afraid to write Tuned SQL / Index recommendation on fly when performance issue is spotted.
· Being able to write complex relational queries is key requirement, candidate must be able to understand complex schema and nested relationships.
· Able to build/clone fully functional multiple SQL Servers using Power shell / TSQL – someone who knows what all-intricate configuration should be carried forward and some changed.
· Able to Tear down and configure multiple Always on Environment without using Wizard/GUI.
· Able to understand and configure each Always on component using PowerShell or TSQL.
· Able to build Windows cluster using Power-shell
· Able to configure, understand and monitor always on routes & read slave traffic.
· Able to understand challenges involved with Always on while Rebuilding Indexes, Update Statistics, Batch Jobs, Logins, Replication, Transaction log sizes.
· Understands challenges in moving/updating massive tables ex: up to 1TB when Always On is Asynchronous.
· Able to diagnose windows clustering issues and provide necessary resolution.
· Maintain monitoring tools and database maintenance scripts
· Installing / updates of software (e.g. Windows, SQL server, Splunk Tableau).
· Overseeing large-scale application changes happening to production SQL Environment.
· Database design. Responsible for reviewing new database changes and packaging change scripts
· Maintenance of a number of Transactional replication technologies.
· Experienced with moving large and complex data sets using SSIS
· Ensure all database servers are backed up in a way that meets the business’s Recovery Point Objectives (RPO)
· Test backups to ensure we can meet the business’ Recovery Time Objectives (RTO)
· Troubleshoot SQL Server service outages as they occur, including after-hours and weekends
· Document the company’s database environment
The Database administrator will be the 2nd line of contact for requests or tickets related to the maintenance of our data services, escalating to other Operations team members as appropriate. This will include, but not be limited to:
· Obtaining approvals for change requests before passing over to relevant team members
· Capture and complete appropriate detail to ensure prompt resolution of incidents and completion of change requests.
· Owning and troubleshooting technical issues.
· Proactive communication of issues to users and team members
· Software installations
· Liaising and working with vendors to facilitate hardware and software fixes as required
· Any other related duties as assigned by the Line Manager from time to time
Skills and Experience Required Desirable Technical Skills
· VMware vSphere, Hyper V or familiarity with Virtualisation concepts.
· Windows Server.
· Strong PowerShell or python scripting.
· Layer 2/3 Networking.
· Visual Studio development environments.
· Experience of Amazon AWS, Azure or cloud computing.
· Experience of operating PaaS database platforms on either Azure or AWS.
· Experience with other database platforms like MySQL or PostgreSQL
· Experience with NoSQL databases like CouchDB or Cassanda.
· Working with source control, particularly github.
Desirable training and knowledge
· Windows Server, SQL server, Splunk, Tableau or other BI tools.
· CompTIA A+, Server+, Security+ or similar.
Qualifications Required Desirable qualifications
· Microsoft or IT qualifications.
· Good academic track record.
· Computer Science or other technical degree including programming.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £40,000.00 to £65,000.00 /year
If you are interested in this vacancy please apply immediately to:
firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ref: MD1616990
Job Reference Code MD1616990